Nov 12th, 2009 by GardeningVet
I’ve always dreamt of having a wishing well in the backyard. My backyard wooden paling fence was getting pulled down to give way to a new colourbond fence so when the fencing people came to remove the old fence, I told them to save me a few panels. The old fence was made of hardwood (not the new treated pine stuff) so it would be safe to use as a wishing well.
I had this old plastic tub which used to store some sort of liquid – it was cut in half and I used to use it as a pond but I thought I would work the wishing well around it. I denailed all the palings, then used this plan, made a few modifications, and this is the result…
Wishing well from wooden fence palings
My daughter wanted a bucket in it to ‘draw’ water – so I also built the crank with a handle. Because I used hardwood planting stakes as the handle I didn’t want to have to dig splinters out each time I used the crank, so I cut up a piece of polypipe and wrapped it around the handle. I’m very pleased with the result.
Homemade wooden wishing well
Now all I need to do is to fill the plastic tub up and add some plants and fish.
Nov 2nd, 2009 by GardeningVet
After deciding the the permanent chicken tractor was too bulky to move and the fact that I would like another garden bed to put my vegetables in, I took the permanent tractor apart and re-used the wood and ply to construct another more permanent chicken coop. I knew I wanted it raised off the ground to allow the chickens some shade under the coop and also to put the feed and water under it away from the weather. I found a pallet and started work on the 4 walls.
Pallet chicken coop
Roof to chicken coop
pop door string
door to chicken coop
Roost inside chicken coop
Egg access and clean up doors
Clean out doors
Chicken poop drawers
Poop drawers in place
Nov 1st, 2009 by GardeningVet
When we went on holidays, we had a disaster in our chicken coop/run. I had a friend who was living nearby chicken-sit for us and because she only came around once a day to collect mail and eggs and care for the chickens, I thought I would make it easier for her by relieving her the task of having to lock them in at night so the coop door was open but the chickens were in the run. They coped okay for a week in that set up but I got a frantic call from her in our second week of holidays saying that she arrived to feathers in the run and no sign of the chickens. I suspected the worse. When we finally got home, we found that something had dug under the run fence and gotten into the run and left just feathers, no body parts, no chickens. Needless to say we were devastated. So after a whole 3 weeks of no chickens – I must say the backyard looked decidedly forlorn with no bwok-bwoks around. We finally succumbed and I decided to set more eggs again in the homemade incubator and start afresh. I cut up the expresspost bag to line the bottom of the foam incubator and will put in non-slip drawer lining when I stop turning – hopefully that will make clean up time after hatching a breeze. Here they are now :
chicken eggs in the homemade incubator
After 2 days incubating, I had a friend’s dad who was asking if I could help him incubate some of his King Quail eggs (some call them button quail) – his hen had been laying great guns but just refused to sit on them. Unfortunately I think the bulk of the eggs he gave me (14 in total) would be a tad ‘old’ to be setting but I popped them in the incubator anyway because I had the space. Hopefully some of them will hatch. I believe quails take a shorter time to hatch than chickens so hopefully if I’ve timed it right, they will all hatch together.
King Quail eggs in the incubator