When we went on holidays, we had a disaster in our chicken coop/run. I had a friend who was living nearby chicken-sit for us and because she only came around once a day to collect mail and eggs and care for the chickens, I thought I would make it easier for her by relieving her the task of having to lock them in at night so the coop door was open but the chickens were in the run. They coped okay for a week in that set up but I got a frantic call from her in our second week of holidays saying that she arrived to feathers in the run and no sign of the chickens. I suspected the worse. When we finally got home, we found that something had dug under the run fence and gotten into the run and left just feathers, no body parts, no chickens. Needless to say we were devastated. So after a whole 3 weeks of no chickens – I must say the backyard looked decidedly forlorn with no bwok-bwoks around. We finally succumbed and I decided to set more eggs again in the homemade incubator and start afresh. I cut up the expresspost bag to line the bottom of the foam incubator and will put in non-slip drawer lining when I stop turning – hopefully that will make clean up time after hatching a breeze. Here they are now :
After 2 days incubating, I had a friend’s dad who was asking if I could help him incubate some of his King Quail eggs (some call them button quail) – his hen had been laying great guns but just refused to sit on them. Unfortunately I think the bulk of the eggs he gave me (14 in total) would be a tad ‘old’ to be setting but I popped them in the incubator anyway because I had the space. Hopefully some of them will hatch. I believe quails take a shorter time to hatch than chickens so hopefully if I’ve timed it right, they will all hatch together.